Since 1953, United Way of Greater New Bedford has been a leading institution on the SouthCoast. Today it is one of over 1,800 independent, self-governing United Way organizations throughout the United States and is overseen by a local Board of Directors.
We proudly serve residents throughout the SouthCoast, with a primary focus on the City of New Bedford and the towns of Acushnet, Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Freetown, Marion, Mattapoisett, Rochester, and Wareham.
UWGNB funds organizations through various grant funding opportunities, including:
- Community Impact Grants: operational support for existing, high quality programs and services
- Innovation Challenge: project support for new, innovative programs and services
- Emerging Needs Fund: support for unexpected and time sensitive community needs
- Changemaker Grants: small dollar grants to all-volunteer community groups across the regions
UWGNB also manages and provides services through its own programs, including:
- Family Resource and Development Center: services for families with children under the age of 18, including case management, parenting classes, and therapeutic interventions
- Hunger Commission: a food rescue program that delivers donated food from local companies and grocery stores to soup kitchens and food pantries. Also serves as the sole distributor of fresh, organic produce and eggs from the Sharing the Harvest Community Farm, a program of YMCA Southcoast, Dartmouth
- Mobile Market: a summer program that provides free, fresh produce to low-income, working families
UWGNB convenes partners through various initiatives, including:
- New Bedford Community Connections Coalition: an initiative focused on strategies that work to prevent child abuse and neglect, strengthen families, and build healthier communities
- UWGNB also partners with SingleCare to provide free access to discounts on prescription drugs and Mass 211, an information and referral line that provides free-confidential information to people seeking support services.
- UWGNB has teamed up with Bright by Text to send free activities, games, and resources right to parents’ cell phones. Messages include information on child development, language and early literacy, health and safety, behavioral tips, and more. Text GNBKIDS TO 274448
- UWGNB administers Volunteer SouthCoast, a volunteer matching service that connects people interested in volunteering with projects at local non-profits.