The New Bedford Strengthening Families (NBSF) AmeriCorps Program is a national service program whose members provide service to make people safer, stronger, and healthier to strengthen their communities. AmeriCorps members serve at different host sites in New Bedford and implement evidence-based interventions that strengthen families, with a focus on preventing child abuse and neglect. This initiative is a community collaboration led by the United Way of Greater New Bedford and is based on the Strengthening Families Protective Factors framework.
5 Key Protective Factors
- Parental resilience
- Social connections
- Knowledge of parenting and child development
- Concrete support in times of need
- Social and emotional competence of children
Members use the following strategies to support New Bedford parents and caregivers:
- Nurturing Parenting Programs: A family-centered, trauma-informed initiative designed to nurture parenting skills and reduce child abuse and neglect
- Concrete Support in Times of Need: Anti-poverty services including connections to social services, supports for basic needs, and public benefit programs.
- Parent Cafes: Structured discussions that use the principles of adult learning and family support where parents and caregivers talk about the challenges and victories of raising a family.
- Parent/Child Activities: Opportunities for parents and children to get together to increase social connections, learn something new, and have fun!
Partner Host Sites
- Better Community Living
- People Acting in Community Endeavors (PACE)
- United Way of Greater New Bedford
- Family Resource & Development Center
- New Bedford Community Connections Coalition
Become a Member
We’re recruiting! Both full and part-time opportunities are available. To learn more, visit our Careers Page.
For more information on the NBSF AmeriCorps Program, please contact Allen at 508-994-4521 x123 or email@example.com